Woman Dies from Childhood Asbestos Exposure

A 50-year-old British woman who was exposed to dangerous asbestos dust as a child has died of mesothelioma at age 50.

According to a report in The Argus, Cheryl Marsh, who served as a police community support office, was diagnosed with the aggressive cancer in 2004 and was awarded £100,000 compensation from a London borough council because she developed the disease from asbestos in the council block where she grew up.

“She used to play in the boiler rooms in the basement of her family’s council flat in Islington when she was 13 years old and was among a group of 20 children who gathered there in the winter evenings,” quotes the article. “The area had been covered in asbestos dust but nobody at the time knew it was dangerous.”

Marsh is believed to have also been exposed to asbestos during her work with the Islington Borough Council social services department, where she came into contact with the dust when stripping down and sanding asbestos brake pads. She also received compensation from the Borough Council because they admitted guilt in regards to her exposure.

In an interview with The Argus earlier this year, Ms Marsh said: “When I found out I had mesothelioma I thought, why me?’ “I didn’t know anything about the disease but when I researched it I discovered it mainly affected men in their 70s who had worked in heavy industries.”

“I can’t do the things I used to, like a full shift on the beat but work is the one thing that keeps me going,” she told the newspaper. “I don’t know how much longer I have. I live each day as it comes. I try to be positive and I hope one day they will come up with a miracle cure.”

Leave a Reply