The state of Virginia is conducting an investigation to determine whether a contractor or sub-contractor for the new $14 million U.S. Navy housing project in Newport News illegally dumped asbestos debris at a landfill in Suffolk that was not licensed to accept toxic friable asbestos.
According to an article in The Daily Press, John Holland, owner of John C. Holland Enterprises Inc., a landfill off Nansemond Parkway in Suffolk, told reporters that debris from the Navy site at 31st Street and Washington Avenue is being tested for asbestos and has been quarantined. The state allows the landfill to accept non-friable asbestos-contaminated material, which is asbestos that remains undisturbed and has not broken down, explains Holland.
Holland explained that he continues to feel unsure about the state of the asbestos at his landfill and whether or not the debris might release toxic fibers. “There is a possibility. It’s quarantined. For right now it’s not going anywhere,” he said.
Officials from the Virginia Beach office of the state Department of Environmental Quality were telephoned by Holland last week when he became suspicious about the debris from the U.S. Navy project.
A sample taken on March 6 from a stockpile of siding material left at the construction site was tested by a certified environmental laboratory in Chesapeake. On March 11, the laboratory confirmed that the sample contained 15 percent asbestos.